Sun Prairie Families Introduce the $5 Family Challenge to benefit Sunshine Place
Sun Prairie, WI – Sun Prairie area families are working together on a new community challenge to benefit Sunshine Place and its program partners, along with an important expansion to give Sunshine Supper a permanent home.
$5 Family Challenge!
Chad and Alison Kavanaugh and their children, Drew, Brooke & Carter volunteered to make the first family challenge donation to Sunshine Place. “We learned during the recent Bed Fundraiser that working together as a community makes a big difference in the lives or our neighbors,” said Chad who collected donations for four beds during the fundraiser.
The Kavanaugh’s presented a check for $25 to Sunshine Place to represent their commitment of $5 per family member in the challenge. Families are asked to consider a $5 donation for their family and if they are able, $5 per family member.
Turn your $5 into $10
“In addition to be motivated to donate to help families in need,” Alison said, “we wanted to donate now, when we understand every dollar donated by us will be matched dollar-per-dollar by an anonymous donor – so today, our $25 donation just became a $50 donation!”
The donations will support several new community service organizations making their home in Sunshine Place #2, at 1632 W. Main St., next to the original Sunshine Place on Rickel Road. “The new building will house Sunshine Supper with space to serve more than 200 people at once,” said Julie Wiedmeyer, coordinator for Sunshine Supper, the weekly community meal open to all residents of Sun Prairie.
How Families can Help
Chad and Alison shared these ways your family can help another family in need.
- Please accept the challenge, and like their family, and consider a donation of $5 per family member. Share your family’s photo on the Sunshine Supper Facebook page to show your support.
- Mail your check to Sunshine Place, 18 Rickel Road, Sun Prairie, WI 53590. Please write “Challenge” in the notes section of the check made out to Sunshine Place.
- Purchase a “door” at your favorite local retail outlet for $5.00, write your family’s name on it and hang it up at the business or in a window at your home in support of the challenge.
- Pass up a coffee shop drink one day this week, or take your lunch one day and donate the savings to Sunshine Place. Or ask your kids to pool some of their change to make dollar donations.
“We hope to use the $5 Family Challenge to start to teach our kids about helping others who don’t share the same opportunities they enjoy,” said Alison. “Additionally, as a mom of three young kids, I know that it’s not easy to raise a family even with fortunate circumstances. It is why we are supporting Sunshine Place and the services it provides to help other mom’s and families in need.”
To make a donation online by credit card or e-check, please click on the Donate Now button.
Neighbors, helping neighbors ... a Sun Prairie tradition.
Sunshine Place is a single point of access to social services
for ten community based organizations serving the needs of Sun Prairie residents needing assistance to maintain a life many of us take for granted.
Sunshine Place thrives on the giving we see everyday from the Sun Prairie community - this spirit makes our community a great place to live.
The organizations Sunshine Place supports:
- Emergency Food Pantry
- The Red Barn thrift store
- Joining Forces for Families
- Home Mission Fund
- Sun Prairie Community Help Organization
- Stuff the Bus
- Sunshine Suppers
- Sunshine Connections
- Access Point
- Housing First Sun Prairie
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Check out Sunshine Connections' page for daily updates. Click here. Sunshine Connections' mission is to connect volunteers with needs in the community.